So I’ve been trying to think of more ways to be involved with my blog, to write more and to get more out there, and I found this 15 Day Challenge thing on one of the blogs that I follow. It was originally posted on Good Books and Good Wine, so props out to them.
So I’ll be doing a little post on those every day!
Like I said, I just want to be as active as possible with this blog. I want to write as much as I can every single day, because the only way to become a better writer is to write every single day!
Day One: Make 15 Book Related Confessions!
Okay, let’s do this.
1. If I know a book is coming out on a certain day, I need to get it that day. It will drive me absolutely insane to not get it that day. I may be totally in the middle of reading another book, but it doesn’t matter. I will go out THAT day to purchase the book because it’ll bug me that its out and I didn’t get it.
2. I LOVE beating up my books. I show pride when the covers are worn, the pages are bent and brown and all of that. So many people I know are so anal and compulsive about their books but I am not. They are piled all over the place in my room too.
3. I read really fast. Like, really really fast. Most people are like, how do you read so fast? I honestly couldn’t tell you. How do you read at the pace that you read? You just do! And I just happen to read at a very quick pace. I like that. I can get through more books that way :)
4. Me and libraries? We don’t really mix. We just don’t. I usually turn in books late, or I lose them, or I keep them and then I end up with fines that would put even the richest man in debt and its just all horrible. I recently got a library card again and I’m giving it a try again. I’ve had it for about a month and so far, I’ve been doing fairly well! I’m proud of myself!
5. I judge books by their covers. I’m sorry, but I do. If the covers are cheesy, or even the title is just cheesy, or lame, then yeah, I usually don’t pick up the book. The cover for Hush, Hush really bothers me because it looks so similarly designed to the cover of Fallen. The cover of Obsidian deterred me for a long time, and I ended up really liking it. But yeah, totally judge books by their cover and titles.
6. When I do have book shelves (I don’t right now, hence the books all over the place deal), I have a serious coronary trying to figure out to arrange them. Should I do it alphabetically or should I do it by genre, or what? Should I do it by series, or author or what? It drives me insane.
7. I will throw down when people start talking badly on YA literature. There are so many people out there that will talk negatively on it and I think there’s so much good in YA literature, to outweigh the bad, as with all genres, and I will THROW DOWN.
8. All I really want for Christmas and birthdays and stuff is gift certificates to buy more books. Really. That’s all I want.
9. I’m really behind on reviewing books. I have a stack of books by my bed that are waiting to be reviewed but I just keep reading more books and yeah, I’ve fallen way behind. I want to review all these books for you, but it is so very hard.
10. I like both traditional books and ebooks and it really bothers me when people hate on ebooks. I have a philosophy that as long as you’re reading, it doesn’t matter how you do it. I just want people to read.
11. I always, always, always like the “bad” boy in the novels. I love Jace Lightwood and Will Herondale and Sirius Black and Daemon Black and Han Alister and Rhett Butler and Daniel “Day” Wing and on and on. I like the bad boys. Because in the end, the bad boys fall in love and they’re so fun to watch and agh. I love it.
12. Over the years, I’ve learned to be better about the whole book to movie thing. I used to be super pissed off, and judge-y and annoying. Now, I try to see the two different versions separately, or as separately as I can. I try to appreciate that I get to see some of my favorite novels on the big screen, but realize that there are changes that need to be made and NOTHING will ever come close to the vision you had in your head.
13. I HATE HATE HATE (and I’m trying to be better at this) when people are like ‘ohmygod I am such a huge fan of “insert book title/author” or “So and so is SO amazing” and they’ve either, A, never read them or B, haven’t read more than one book by them. OH god. That drives me insane. That’s going on a lot with TMI, with all these people, like OHMYGOD, and they haven’t even read the other books. I know its childish but it drives me insane. I also hate when people get all these perks or VIP access to these book things, and you’ve read the books YEARS longer than they have. Again, I know its a childish reaction but I can’t help it.
14. I don’t like audiobooks. I just don’t. I can’t get into them. They bore me, and whoever is reading the book usually reads WAY too slow and I get bored and distracted. I love that more and more people are able to experience books because of audiobooks but I’m sorry, I don’t really count them as “reading”. I actually have to sit down and open a book to get it done, while audiobooks can be done while driving or cleaning or whatever. I am glad people can experience the same stories through these but its not really reading :/
15. Every time I read a book (especially YA) that’s so good and just knocks my socks off, I feel a little tinge of anxiety, of worry. I worry that no matter how hard I work, I can never produce something like that. I always think, god, there’s no way I’ll ever be as good as “so-and-so”. This is another thing I’m trying to get better at too :)
* * *
Thanks for hanging out while I confessed some book stuff.
Come back tomorrow for Day Two!